Saturday, May 23, 2009

Presto Change-O. Or, more accurately, the weekend I found out I was OLD

Today, we're talking about garden projects. Stop by the Lazy Organizer to see her yummy Sour Dough Pitas.

I've been wanting to do this project ever since we married and moved into a home of our own. Every time we moved I drew up elaborate plans for our yard complete with labels for different plants, trees, and the perfect spot for a waterfall.

But most of all, I wanted a garden with paths, and I pictured myself tending that garden while wearing a broad-brimmed straw hat (perhaps with a wide gros-grain ribbon tied under my chin), flowery gloves and even a long flowing skirt. Okay so now I'd never be able to pull off the gardening attire, but the PATHS - those I could manage. It's taken over 18 years, but the paths are a done deal.

First, we (and by we I mean Mr. O) made the grow boxes narrower to make it easier to weed and harvest. Here's how they looked last year.

Then we covered the paths with weed barrier (which trust me, I know, is an exercise in futility - the weeds will still come, the little rascals). We also installed a garden edge, driving it down four inches, all the way around where the sod butts up to the paths. (Please do not notice those yellow spots in the grass. So NOT where the dog pees).

Then Mr. O wheel-barrowed in load after load of pea gravel (completely inspired by Alicia at Posie gets Cozy) while I raked it and leveled it out to a depth of two inches.

And then it rained. But we persevered (mostly because once I start a project I fear that I won't finish it if I take a break). We had flagstones left over from our deconstructed waterfall and we used those for stepping stones. Yes, we had a waterfall at one time, but it became a haven for wasps and algae, and then when Ellie came along we decided it would be safer to demo it.

I'd really like to try a waterfall again one day, but the next time (when we win the lottery) it will be done by someone who knows what they're doing and who can make the waterfall look like the one in my mind. The previous "landscaper,"and I use that term loosely, did not. But enough about the defunct waterfall.

Don't the paths look lovely? We just need to sink some of the stones into the gravel and we're done! I love it when a plan comes together! (Name that show) I just have some tomatoes, squash and potatoes left to plant and who knows? Maybe, just maybe, I'll break out the big straw hat and flowery gloves.

16 comments:

athena said...

wow! your garden is SO awesome! you're such an inspiration corrie!

Tebbs Family said...

Beautiful!!! Good for you!

Loralee and the gang... said...

Wow! Great garden. I haven't found the desire to get out in mine yet. It's a disaster!
:~D

Sister Pottymouth said...

It looks so beautiful! If my "garden" looked like that, I might actually be inspired to weed.

Terri said...

Corrie ande Blaine---a job sell done. Hope Blaine's back is okay after all the trips with the wheelbarrow. It does look well on its way to being a very beautiful and productive garden!!!Mom

Shawn said...

I am sooooo jealous! You are amazing---and your grow boxes are immaculate!

Jendeis said...

So beautiful! I am so impressed!

Next garden post needs to discuss what you've planted where. Please?

Up in Bubbles said...

Way to go, it looks fabulous. I wish I had a garden I think it is great for kids to work in and see the fruit of their labors. Looks like a good use of space. Good job.

andrea said...

Beautiful. All I want is a smallish grow box....one, but I'm still waiting and my garden plants are languishing in their peat pots. The ones that survived that is. The dog ate a couple before he ran away. Then a couple have just died. I'm thinking that I'll be getting my veggies from the latino vegetable stand on the side of the road again. :)

Angela said...

This is wonderful. I had huge boxes at one time and wish I had not pulled them out. Tell me or please show us the screens close up! Are they for beans and peas? Fabulous

Mrs. Organic said...

I will post the trellises in close-up. I grow tomatoes, squash, sugar baby watermelons, sugar snap peas, beans (not in yet), and sometimes cantaloupe up the trellis.

I use garden trellis netting that can be found at Home Depot and tie it on the the frames. The frames are constructed out of 2x2s and so far have been strong enough to support the mass of vegetation that ensues every August.

I prune and train my tomatoes and they grow all the way to the top of the trellis. It makes for very easy pickings.

myimaginaryblog said...

Gorgeous -- enough to make me wipe the grease off my fingers from my nachos and leave a comment. :)

Thanks for your replies to my comments on your earnest post -- I'm sure the one that got eated was even better, but I liked the short ones, too. (And why is it that the Internet particularly likes to devour the longest comments? It always happens to me. Maybe it finds them to be more filling.)

Back on the topic of your garden, have you heard of Bailey White? She's sometimes been featured on NPR reading her stories. Her book "Mama Makes Up Her Mind and Other Dangers of Southern Living" has a story about gardening that you should read if you haven't. (I think I have a copy around here I could dig out to loan you.)

Kim N said...

LOVE IT! I don't have enough space with good sun to plant a garden in my yard, but a family in our ward invited me to help expand and work (and share) with them on their garden this year and I have had a lot of fun. I can't wait to see pictures of your garden overflowing in a few weeks!

Mrs. Organic said...

MIB - Nachos - YUM! I would love to borrow that book. I've actually come across that title in the past couple weeks. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Kim - Me too and I'd love to see pictures of yours too.

UKZoe said...

My whole yard is only 5 metres (more or less 15 feet) along each side, so my veggie garden is one raised bed of 4 feet by 6 feet, 2 hanging baskets of tomatoes, 1 big pot of string beans and 2 tubs of herbs.

JENNIFRO said...

FANTASTIC!!! This gives us something to strive for! It looks so beautiful and organized. I love it! I say you don the garb for sure!