Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Prayer, sort of

Every night (okay, so not every - but most), when we tuck Ellie in, we help her to say her prayers. Can you tell how she feels about it by tonight's example?

Ellie: Mom, you say it.

Mom: How do you start?

E: Henley Father. (looks at me - same as every night - and asks Now what? as if we haven't done this before)

M: Tell Him what you're thankful for.

E: I'm thankful for...all the things I'm thankful for. And that's all I'm thankful for.

M: Are you thankful for anything else?

E: (opening her eyes, looking around) I'm thankful for blankets and..... sheets.

M: Is there anything else, what things are you thankful for?

E: Mom, I'M ALL DONE "THANKFUL FOR"-ING!!!

At this point it was a bit difficult to continue. I'm pretty sure laughter is not a key ingredient of prayer.