Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Prayer, sort of

Every night (okay, so not every - but most), when we tuck Ellie in, we help her to say her prayers. Can you tell how she feels about it by tonight's example?

Ellie: Mom, you say it.

Mom: How do you start?

E: Henley Father. (looks at me - same as every night - and asks Now what? as if we haven't done this before)

M: Tell Him what you're thankful for.

E: I'm thankful for...all the things I'm thankful for. And that's all I'm thankful for.

M: Are you thankful for anything else?

E: (opening her eyes, looking around) I'm thankful for blankets and..... sheets.

M: Is there anything else, what things are you thankful for?

E: Mom, I'M ALL DONE "THANKFUL FOR"-ING!!!

At this point it was a bit difficult to continue. I'm pretty sure laughter is not a key ingredient of prayer.


10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I know how she feels sometimes!

Hewett Gardeners said...

Cute! isa's prayer for every mealtime and bedtime is, "Father, thank you for the food, thank you everything, amen." we can't get her to add to or change any part of it. wonder when she'll magically grow out of that one :)

Mrs. Organic said...

Mine refuses to ever say one by herself. Everything else is, I can do it, myself!

Tebbs Family said...

I think our youngest children are either placed in their family order to keep us young or drive us crazy (they're probably the ones that will take care of us in the end so I try to be extra nice... ha ha)

myimaginaryblog said...

Classic!

Heffalump said...

Just wait until she is older! Prayers can be an interesting window into their little minds.
Please let no one in my family get eaten by wolves is a regular one at our house, and I don't really know how it got started!

Sister Pottymouth said...

Laughter is most definitely a key ingredient of prayer! Some of my favorite prayer memories involve involuntary giggling. Besides, if God didn't have a sense of humor, he wouldn't send us children.

Shawn said...

I just love those little prayers!
My son's are getting longer and longer---I love them!

Nancy Face said...

My 14-year-old really enjoys reciting the same prayer every morning before school. We've gotta work on that! ;)

b. said...

I think Henley Father appreciates a good belly laugh once in awhile!