Saturday, February 6, 2010

In honor of the impending romance holiday: tunes

A feel-good, upbeat love song which I first heard on an 8 track tape. I can't tell you how badly I wanted her haircut, unfortunately I didn't look awesome in a mushroom.

And this? Is our song.

Lately I've been wondering what I'm going to do with myself once Ellie is in school full time. I mean, I'm not really PTA material and you can only eat so many bon bons so...

I'd like to go back to school, and the toughest thing is deciding what to study. I have a fascination with languages and would love to study Arabic or Chinese, but I also want to be practical~which would indicate that Spanish should figure in there somewhere.

So, what to study? Before my tubal pregnancy and then Ty's arrival, I'd been studying in pre-med classes. Hah! So not a possibility (I've really overdosed on the world of medical wonders, thank you). With an eye towards entering the work force again someday, I've got to figure out a new area of study.

Does it really matter what your degree is in anymore so long as you have one? I enjoy advocacy work, research, people (ix-nay on the teaching, tho - not enough patience, I'm afraid), writing, and reading. Suggestions?

P.S. I'm just getting started on the possibilities.

13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I majored in sociology and ended up in social work. I think it meets all those requirements!

La Yen said...

For teaching it absolutely matters what your degree is in, which is twelve kinds of ridiculous. But since you don't want to teach, you are off the hook for that.

I was thinking about going back to school next year (because I am a glutton for punishment) but then baby decided to come, so there goes another five years...

Social work does a lot of those things, especially if you become fluent in Spanish. Public health, too. Or what about law school?

Mrs. Organic said...

The potential problem with social work is that I get queasy about the maltreatment of children the way some people do about blood and broken bones - I just hurt for them.

I'm hoping I get enough brain power back to do this. Even though Ellie is 4, I swear I still have pregnancy brain. I have thought about some aspect of law, I like the idea of being a "gun" for hire.

The Family G said...

After being a mock trial coach for my kids, I've thought I'd love to be a lawyer, but I think I'm going to settle for non-profit work. The U of U has some great non-profit classes I've been thinking about. You'd rock in it, you ought to look into it!

Shawn said...

I don't have a clue what you should do----but do something that makes you happy! I spend so much time on my theatre----thats why I have been absent for awhile, and I am exhausted most of the time, but when my shows are successful and it makes people happy----then it all melts away----and I feel that inner happiness and peace that I am using the talents that my Heavenly Father gave me....

I hope to see you when I come out there in a few weeks!!

Anonymous said...

Easily I to but I dream the collection should have more info then it has.

andrea said...

Just do what makes you happy and fulfilled...I have no suggestions. Sorry! Clean out.

As for me, I'll be heading back into respiratory therapy most likely. Can't figure a reason not to, so if a hospital out there will help me find my skills that I have filed back in my brain somewhere, that's what I'll be doing.

kado! said...

great songs!

I'd love to be fluent in another language! Go for that!

Mrs. Organic said...

Noreen - I've thought about non-profit work/grant writing

Shawn - Ooo, that's coming up soon - can't wait to see you again.

Andrea - I think I'd enjoy resp therapy (at least working with kids), I'm just not sure my noggin is up to it.

Kado - If I go for Spanish, I'll at least have a chance to use it here.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think you have an Irma Bombeck style that I love...maybe writing a weekly column for your local paper to start....journalism major?

Laura

b. said...

I have a Valentine's Day mix of old rat pack stuff...it is AWESOME! Dr. Wynn made it for me.

Annie said...

I heard that if you have a degree in English you can get a job doing anything. Well, not anything, but a lot of things.

tiburon said...

I am going back to school when all my kiddies are fulltime. I am just wanting to finish my degree. Practical or not! ;)