Friday, February 12, 2010

Doing


Just a quick post to mention a little something. Blaine's father passed away on Wednesday and we are hosting the post funeral dinner at our house on Saturday.

I feel a little helpless at comforting those who mourn, I mean what can one do when a loved one is gone? Everything seems so trivial. I've realized that the way I show love is through service (even when I stress out about it). So, I am cleaning this house top to bottom. I want it to shine for our company. I know it doesn't really mean anything, that Mr. O doesn't care about such things, but what can one do? I wish I could stretch my soul to be better at small kindnesses, but the truth is if I'm not snappish I'm not giving it my all. I think it is safe to say that today is filled with every last part of me.

I just wish I could sparkle up every last corner and do it with the charm and grace of Mary Poppins. That would be the cherry on top.

A note here about hospice nurses, which our neighbor happens to be (and who (whom?) I cannot recommend enough for anyone in similar circumstances). I called her when things were looking bleak and final. She came right away and helped ease Blaine's father into the next life with all the tenderness and caring a person could give. She stayed with us, explaining the transition his spirit was going through (it is just as much a struggle to die as it is to be born), listening and celebrating his life with us. Thank heavens for people with big hearts and a tender touch.

15 comments:

Jendeis said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and yours.

Kristina P. said...

I have been thinking about your family. I hope everything goes better than expected.

Stacy said...

Sending our love and prayers. It touched me to read about your neighbor and her tender kindness. Wish I could be of some help right now.

Heffalump said...

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.
I'm glad you have such a lovely neighbor and I hope all goes well this weekend.

Loralee and the gang... said...

There's nothing else like the hospice people. Wonderful, to say the least. I am sorry for your loss. But you will see him again!

Up in Bubbles said...

So sorry for your loss. We send our love. Wish I could do something to help.(let me know if you can think of anything) Give Blain and the kids a big hug from us. Hope everything goes well. Loves kelley and family.

Emma J said...

I have been thinking about you and your family since Casey told me about Blaine's dad.

That shining floor is beautiful. It reflects more than just sunlight.

tiburon said...

I am so sorry to hear about that.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do - I know I am just a "bloggy friend" but I would love to help if you need it :)

Mrs. Organic said...

Thanks everyone, your kind thoughts warm my heart. And Tib, I don't think there's such a thing as just a "bloggy friend" - thanks for your support. :)

Kimberly said...

So sorry, hun. I know that feeling of helplessness. You do what you can do because it's all that you can...showing love through service eases the heart though, and I'm glad you found access to that.

Kim N said...

I am sorry for your loss. I agree about hospice nurses. They made the passing of my grandfather such a comforting and spiritual time for my family.

Tebbs Family said...

How are you all doing??? How is Blaine? I am like you and am a "service-oriented" person to show my love and concern. From the 5 Love Languages, John "receives" love in the form of positive affirmations and my first thought was ANYTHING but that--I can show love in the other 4 languages--but that one is my toughest... ugh! I'm sure your house is sparkling.

Mrs. Organic said...

Alicia - You, me - same, same. And Blaine is a lot like John. As far as how we're doing, I think it's better than I expected. It is starting to catch up with his mom, though.

andrea said...

Did you threaten your family with their lives if they messed up that floor before Saturday? I would have! ;)

Really, it looks beautiful, and I know the feeling of just not knowing what to do. I'm certain they appreciated coming into your welcoming and sparkly clean house to spend time together.

Leann said...

Thanks so much for your kind words! Didn't even know you were a blogger! I love that about you, Mrs. O. It was so wonderful for me to be able to sit at the side of each of you and walk that journey with you. I love my job! Thanks for your trust. Love you, much more than you know!