Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Welcome to the Jungle

It's been so blasted hot that I've neglected my gardening duties (although there aren't many weeds) and the tomatoes, squash, and melons have run amok. I really need to get out there and prune the tomatoes, harvest the jalapenos and anaheims, AND conquer the squash bugs.


My summer squash has powdery mildew and I've heard that you can treat by spraying it with milk (don't do it in the heat of the day, though).


Trellised tomatoes and thyme gone to seed

The overgrown mess

Butternut squash - yum!

How does your garden grow?

6 comments:

Up in Bubbles said...

Wow, maybe you should call your blog
"Green stinking thumb" you really do have the touch. "Inspirational"

Heffalump said...

Mine is struggling. We just haven't had enough sun. Not to say that it has been rainy, it hasn't really, but it has been cool. For most of the summer our highs have been below 70, which is fine for comfort, but our garden is suffering. Four of my tomato plants have yet to produce anything, and the other two have tomatoes, but I'm not sure how long until they are ripe. So far the tomatoes on them have been just plain green for a few weeks.

tiburon said...

My garden grows at the grocery store.

I can barely keep my kids alive...

Kristina P. said...

Want to come and grow me a garden?

Shawn said...

Don't have one---thanks for reminding me....sob...


Yours is amazing, though.

Amy said...

I envy your jungle. The hot summer I've had killed most everything. However, in June, I had amazing cucumbers.