Saturday, July 4, 2009

Putting the "Oh" in Older (as in "Oh, crap")

In just a couple of days, I will officially be one year closer to 40. Meaning that I 'officially' have one year less to complete the items on this 40 Before 40 list. I've done okay so far, and hope to be crossing 4 or 5 more things off the list in the next six months. I should be travelling to New Zealand this Fall with my siblings, and you can bet I'll be buying the trip insurance to ward off any medical issues with Ty. Yes, I'm hella superstitious. Why do you ask?

Speaking of Ty, I found the picture of me in the bunny suit just before his chemo port surgery, and it's a real beau-tay. Keep in mind I've lost 15 lbs since that picture was taken (first I gained 15 more, then lost about 30 - but who's counting?)

I am working hard to lighten up - literally. For once, my thyroid medication seems to be working with me rather than against me and I'm taking full advantage. I cannot believe I used to do my workouts with 30 more lbs. on this bod, because they are plenty hard without all that extra weight. In addition to doing P90X (of which Yoga X has been the most effective), I have changed how I eat. I start the day off with a yogurt smoothie and then eat far more fresh veggies and dark, leafy greens with my other meals. I am learning to like fish, slowly but surely. I plan on getting back into a size 8 sooner rather than later. Don't laugh, it could totally happen.

Yogurt Smoothie
1 cup plain yogurt (home-made organic is my favorite)
handful fresh/frozen berries
1 banana (optional)
2 scoops protein
1 tsp. ground flax seed or wheat germ

In other news, did you know that antihistamines, although great at fighting allergies, make it difficult to lose weight? Yeah, so I'll be sneezing and sniffing my way to Slenderville. Just by dumping the diet soda habit, I dropped another 5 lbs in two weeks - it's murder on water retention. Toss the diet drinks, your ankles will thank you.

In addition to lightening up weight-wise, I'll be joining the ranks of the blond people once again. I haven't lightened my hair in about 2 years, time to shake it up. Besides, I hear they have more fun.

P.S. I am now skinnier (that being a relative term, ahem) than in this picture. Not by a lot, but every little bit counts.

19 comments:

Kristina P. said...

You look beautiful! My exercising has really been slacking since starting the swing shift. I feel so lazy!

Elizabeth-W said...

You're always fabulous!
I was put on synthroid a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping that I will magically drop 10 lbs. It could happen....

Mrs. Organic said...

EW - It actually could, but it will take about 6 weeks before you'll feel the full effect and see the numbers drop.

Elizabeth-W said...

A girl can hope.

Anonymous said...

Well their are some good ones on that list of yours and some biggies so you better get cracking. I should make a list it looks like fun but also hard. Good luck. Love Kel

Tebbs Family said...

You're amazing and beautiful and have accomplished MUCH MORE than you've included on your list... you need to fit the Hawaii trip in with Blaine though--maybe a 40th birthday adventure?!

Mrs. Organic said...

I hope to squeeze the Hawaii trip in before then, fingers crossed.

Lilac A. Rugg said...

There's a Peck here with an acorn pointed at me!!

You're always gorgeous. So much so that I dreamed about you the other night.

Mrs. Organic said...

Do tell!

Heffalump said...

I always think of you as blond because you were blond when I first came across your blog.
Yay on the weight loss!

Loralee and the gang... said...

You are looking great! I also do a burst of physical self-improvement whenever a landmark birthday looms...getting older sucks, huh?
:~D

Shawn said...

Blondes DO have more fun! Glad to have you as a member....

And I wish that I could lose weight---sigh....

Kenna said...

You are looking great and I must say that I do think blonds have more fun!

myimaginaryblog said...

I had never colored my hair at all until I was at least 27, but now that the choice is between gray or blond, I tend to go with blond (with sometimes some very gray roots for quite a while.)

I don't think I'm going to make a list of things to do by a certain age until I'm definitely done having babies, because dealing with my health and the babies' health and caring for young kids can be so all-consuming that I think I'd just get discouraged. Currently I'm dealing with postpartum hormone/thyroid fluctuations and it can be very discouraging (as in gaining-10-lbs-in-one-month discouraging, having-a-period-that-lasts-two-weeks-and-counting discouraging) but it helps if I'm at least not feeling like a failure that I'm not taking guitar lessons or something. Maybe I'll end up making a list of things to do by age 50, if I ever get my health stabilized and am sure there are no more little ones in the queue. (I *do* still think the cute babies are totally worth it, even if I wish it were a lot easier to get them here and deal with the aftermath.)

Mrs. Organic said...

mib - I understand the whole thyroid meds and getting them right is a tricky ordeal. I've always thought there was one more boy for our family, but I'm too crazy to even think I'm capable of pulling it off.

I've got to get my body working for me instead of against me and by then I'll be menopausal and all bets are off.

Heffalump said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Luisa Perkins said...

Have a wonderful day!

andrea said...

Wow....a list. There's no way I'm doing that. Unless I put like 3 things on it. I'm already halfway to 39.....ACK! It's true. I'm officially depressed now that I realized that. Dang. I SWEAR I just turned 29.....

Mrs. Organic said...

Andrea - I swear my first date was just last year and now my son is old enough to date.