Wednesday, November 12, 2008

On giving - Wordfull Wednesday

Due to the circumstances of our family (ie we are a lightening rod for medical crises), we have been on the receiving end of much service. In fact, it's difficult to keep our karmic balance.

Who am I kidding? It's impossible, we've been given so much.

However, sometimes, in the middle of a trial - medical or otherwise - it's difficult to remember just how many tender mercies the Lord has graced us with. I've been guilty of that.

One thing that helps me is to record, in my journal or on my blog, when someone does something nice for us or when I've seen the Lord's hand in our lives. It may sound tacky, but I put a little sticker of a heart on those pages so that I can flip to them easily when my gratitude well is feeling empty.

I don't understand why it is so easy to lose sight of the blessings in my life and let the struggles overwhelm me, but I need these constant reminders.

Check out Chocolate on my Cranium's Wordfull Wednesday

Photo by Spielberg

8 comments:

The Happy Housewife said...

I think that is a great idea. It can serve as a reminder as well as something that you will be able to look back on years from now.
Toni

Emily said...

I love that idea of recording the services and blessing in a journal--with a sticker for quick reference.

Mommymita said...

just being able to record such acts in a journal is gratitude enough. i remember the story Pres. Erying gave about his father in law changing some pipes and the impression came to him that it needed to be recorded. He has since kept a journal of such kind acts of others.

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

I too thought of Pres. Eyring's talk when reading about you writing down those tender mercies. I love the idea of using a sticker to mark those days for a quick reference.

You too give so much! Just look at what you do for your family, your children, Ty, and others. You are an inspiration to me!

JENNIFRO said...

We all need reality checks. Good post.

Kenna said...

I think that is a great idea. I think we all need reminding sometimes. Now if i can only get myself to stay up on my journal keeping i would love to try it.

Gus said...

Uh... I think you're on the giving end as much or more than the receiving. I'm so touched that you took time to help and be concerned about us in the midst of all you have going on. THANKS!

Jan said...

It's really me. I don't know what this "Gus" crap is all about. :)