Saturday, November 22, 2008

Easy Whole Wheat Rolls

I saw this post on whole wheat rolls and decided to modify the recipe even further. I used instant yeast instead of the packets, honey instead of sugar, added gluten, and used a kamut/white wheat blend instead of all white or red wheat flour.

For my adaptation you will need:

10 1/2 C of wheat flour (I used 6 c. kamut, 4 c. white/red wheat)
1 1/2 T instant yeast
1/3 C gluten
3 1/2 C hot water
1/2 C butter (melted, then cooled)
2/3 C honey
2 beaten eggs
2 t salt

Directions:
In Bosch or bread mixer place 6 C Kamut flour, the instant yeast, and gluten. Mix a little until yeast is distributed then add the water. Mix 1 minute.

Let stand 10 minutes. It will look like this

Then add the butter, honey, eggs and salt. Mix about 30 seconds, then add remaining flour one cup at a time until dough begins to pull away from sides. You will probably only need 4 cups, but if it's humid that extra half cup will come in handy. Mix for 6 minutes.

Spray counter with non-stick spray or butter it. Dump out dough and divide into 4 balls. Each ball can then be used as either a loaf of bread, 12-24 rolls, or bread sticks. I love the buttery, nutty flavor of kamut. Let rise for 20-25 minutes and then place in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Put on cooling racks and brush with butter if desired.


Also brewing in the Organic kitchen is applesauce made from this recipe. The strips of lemon peel really do make a difference in the apple flavor.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang those both loook so yummy. I think I am really hungary right now. I wish I was having those things cooking in my house. I bet it smells so good. Kel

Heffalump said...

Ah...the only time I wish for a Bosch is when I see recipes that take too much flour for me to use my Kitchen Aid mixer. I'll have to figure out if I can divide this is half or even just use 1/3 less of the ingredients.

Heffalump said...

Also...if you are baking it as bread do you cook it for longer? Or is 12 to 15 minutes still enough?

Mrs. Organic said...

As bread I bake it for 25-35 minutes. I much prefer my other recipe for bread, but this is a good one to make for french toast.

Tirzah said...

Yummy!

Niki said...

I have to try these modifications to my recipe. I never think to use my Kamut flour and have tried spelt before and it turned out ok. the apples remind me I still have 10 lbs in the fridge I have to do something with. I may have to make up some applesauce as they are getting a little mushy

Mom2my9 said...

Hey Mrs. Organic! Thank you for the linky love! I'm so glad you tried this recipe. I'm sure your's was awesome with the new additions! I honestly can't remember if I used gluten in my rolls or not. Now you have me thinking. I do not know what kamut is, though. Is it a kind of grain? Anyway, your photography is awesome and your rolls look great! See you soon!