Friday, September 12, 2008

Big changes coming

We've finally reached that point in our current home's life where stuff is starting to die - last year it was the water heater, water softener, and dishwasher. This year, the carpet is flat-lining and no amount of carpet cleaning/steaming can resuscitate it. Wouldn't carpet paddles be a great invention? Charging....Clear! Zap! Voila, I think I hear a pulse. The carpet is coming back to life.

Well, anyway it's time to rip out and replace the family room carpet (even though no one but Ty eats in here, we've all managed to spill his food), repaint the walls, resurface the wood floors, and while we're at it, we could give the cabinets a face lift and glaze them, sew up new window treatments, put in a ceiling fan or two, and reconfigure the family room so we can all sit in it and get a wheelchair through it (so much tougher than you might think). There is also the canning of peaches and salsa/tomato sauce coming up as well as the curing of squash and onions - so coverage here will be spotty, at best.

It will also be mostly in pictures. Here's one to get you started - what are your thoughts on these paint colors?

13 comments:

Jendeis said...

I don't like the bottommost color, it looks a little too green (though this may be how it is coming out on my monitor). Love the two on the top right, yellow is cheery, but lets you do lots of different colors with the quiet backdrop.

b. said...

Goodness Girl! You got some work to do!
My house is painted pretty close to the two middle beige (the non greenish) with white trim. I like it.

Good Luck with all that!

Kenna said...

I think I like the paint to the middle left. I think it would look great with the white trim.

Mrs. Organic said...

Jendeis - you're right the bottom right is too green and completely different than I thought it would from looking at the swatch.

Now we are trying to decide between the yellow and the beige. So hard! We are accenting with black furniture pieces - does that help?

Heffalump said...

Hmmm. I like the idea of beige, but then again I have never been known to live very dangerously when it comes to painting a room.
We are thinking about painting our kitchen one of these days and got the color scheme off of a kleenex box...so don't listen to me if you like the yellow better.

Mrs. Organic said...

My painting judgement is definitely off, my master bedroom was a deep plum color for three years - talk about a cave.

Kim N said...

I was going to say the two yellowish colors because they are cheery, but after you said you were accenting with beige because I love black and beige together.

Good luck!

Elizabeth-W said...

I have zero taste, so I don't dare weigh in. I think if you can make a beautiful quilt, you'll do just fine in picking nice colors. :D

SuzieBel said...

I like the two left colors - both would look great with the rest of your house. You have a real eye for color and a great sense of style. I want to see it when you're done. S

SuzieBel said...

I like the two left colors - both would look great with the rest of your house. You have a real eye for color and a great sense of style. I want to see it when you're done. S

Crystal said...

I like the top far left paint, if that helps any.

I was wondering if you have a place online you learned about canning or any great books? We have a peach and pear tree. Plus I would love to do tomatoes too.

Thanks

Mrs. Organic said...

Here's a good start for peaches
http://www.pickyourown.org/peachescanning.htm

and for tomatoes
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-Fact/5000/5336.html

Michal said...

if you are interested in decorating advice, i recommend checkingout designwithchristine.com. she's a byu grad in interior design who gives free advice on her blog. and she happens to be my good friend. check her out!