Monday, September 15, 2008

Barely a drop in the bucket


After giving a lot of peaches away, this is about one fifth of what we have picked so far and we are halfway done with picking peaches(in other words, this kitchen is going to be Fruit Fly Central by tomorrow morning.

Note the two green chilies (holy moles), Delicata and Acorn squash. The summer squash is from my aunt's garden, but the teeny tiny butternut next to the tomatoes is one of mine.

We will be flush with every kind of tomato in about two weeks. Does anyone have a sweet canned spaghetti sauce recipe? By sweet, I mean more like Prego and less like Ragu.

12 comments:

penny stock lists said...

wow, very special, i like it.

Summer said...

I wish I had a recipe that was Prego like. I just can't stand anything but Prego and it's because of the slight sweetness therein. So good!

Amber said...

yummy! I love fresh foods. We have been very lucky this year, a neighbor and co-worker have been giving us some garden goods.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dang, you are lucky. My kids would love to be at your house right now they love peaches. I guess we all do. They look so yummy. I just can't afford to buy them out here. I should look into having a fruit tree. Kel

JENNIFRO said...

That is just fabulous! I really wish I knew how to can. How do you get SO MUCH DONE???

Elizabeth-W said...

Look at your cute pic!!!
What do you do with your peaches?
I blanch them, toss with sugar and a bit of cinnamon and fruit fresh (they're sliced, too) and put them in freezer bags. Come January they make for excellent pies!

Mrs. Organic said...

I slice them up, add sugar and a touch of water (& fruitfresh), pack 'em in a jar and add water as needed. Then steam and store.

I have frozen a bunch for peach crisp later this winter.

the lazy reader said...

Looks yummy. I love that big tomato.

Mrs. Organic said...

lazy reader - we ate it tonight, it was delicious!

Island School House said...

I'm so envious! We haven't had a garden for so long! I don't have a recipe that is close to Prego, I'll ask my MIL because FIL likes it sweet too.

Michal said...

i'm on my way over for some of those peaches. yum.

Joy in the Burbs... said...

I'm so envious of your harvest. I wish I could have a garden like that. Our yard is so shaded I get a tomato plant and a green pepper in a tiny sunny spot. I'm also trying beans. I ripped out some landscape by our pool and put beans in. Wish me luck.