Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Confession Time

Right here, this is where I tell you that I believe in my kids. I believe in them enough to let them learn their own lessons. (Insert small, random diatribe here. Please note my self-restraint). Who's with me? How do you lean? Do you tend to direct/save your kids or let them feel natural consequences (good and bad) while the stakes are relatively small? (Just so we're clear, I don't mean stuff like letting them run out in the street when they're toddlers). Does anyone know what I mean? Am I talking to myself? Preaching to the choir? Also, why does it feel like I'm yelling?

Tonight, Ellie came in looking like a shepherd with a golden headdress. I asked her who she was and she came right back with, "Little Yellow Riding Hood."

In other news, Mr. O has taken Thanksgiving matters into his own hands (my, how I do love him) and we will have traditional turkey day fare. Maybe I will even make pie. I mean there's still 15 hours before dinner tomorrow, why rush things? In related news, if you have a spare pie I know of a good home.

P.S. It's true, I didn't take all the photos on the last post. My kids have good eyes too. I love that they look at the small things in life too. Guess I have taught them something after all.

8 comments:

Geoffrey said...

I completely agree about letting them learn for themselves some things. If nothing else, simple cause and effect is very important.

Natasha said...

I, too, agree. Experience is the best teacher and solidifies memories best.

That kid is so creative. I just love her.

Melody said...

Lovely photos in your last post.

I rescued my kids a lot when they were younger. Then I became more comfortable with (and understood better the inherent value of) natural consequences. It was a rough transition, but everyone came out on top.

By the way, the rescuing didn't necessarily hurt them. In some ways it taught them the value of sacrificing for another's welfare and the relief of having someone share a burden. But it was still somewhat dysfunctional.

I read "Parenting With Love and Logic" and "Parenting Teens With Love and Logic" when my youngest was 15, then 17 respectively. Better late than never!

All the best, Corrie. Seems to me you're a very good mama.

Plus, can you tell I'm avoiding making the cranberry sauce and working on my term paper by spending a lot of time on this comment? Happy Thanksgiving. Good luck with the pies.

susette said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! We have extra pie that I wish wasn't here. I need NO EXTRA CALORIES looking me in the face! Come on over and it's yours! It hasn't even been cut into yet. Do you like pumpkin?

mCat said...

I SHOULD have let my kids fail a little more, it might have saved us some heartache later on. But then again, everything happens for a reason and I wouldn't trade the happiness I feel with them now and how they learned the hard lessons and became stronger men

Anonymous said...

i'm of the mindset of having our children learn their own lessons. some times it's the only way they can best learn and no better place to learn all this than while they're still under your roof and under your care. before our oldest went off to college i came to realise more and more how important it was for her to learn all she could while under my influence and that my job was to make sure that she was prepared in every way possible from financial responsibility to caring for their personal grooming to social interactions etc. she's not totally there but i can rest assure that i've done the best to allow for her own independence. i think many parents don't want to let go of that dependence that they so very need in order to function more fully as an adult.

athena

Mrs. Organic said...

You've all hit some part of what I'm trying to say. Athena - you've got it the most right. Kids should feel comfortable enough in their own homes/families to make mistakes and know that they can learn from them...that their parents won't desert them or think them incapable of recovering.

Mrs. Organic said...

Susette - you are so thoughtful! Thank you.