10. Make sure the iPod has at least a third of a charge before heading out. Nothing makes the sun feel hotter and the hills feels steeper than no tuneage.
9. Fill the water bottle half full, lay it on its side, and freeze overnight - you'll have cold water the entire ride or at least for the first 25 miles.
8. Chew gum to keep your mouth moist. Also use Chapstick.
7. Wear a visor to keep your face young.
6. Wear a helmet just in case (do as I say not as I do, in this case).
5. Thorns are a matter best not ignored.
4. Do not attempt to replace your water bottle with your left hand into your right-handed water bottle cage while going 30 mph. Trust me on this.
3. Wear a great pair of sunglasses to keep the bugs, pollen, and dust out of your eyes.
2. Tuck a tissue in your jersey. Just in case (this I definitely do).
1. And, I'm sure I've mentioned this before: ride with your mouth closed.