Thursday, March 25, 2010

Say What?


Ellie was diagnosed with a nasty ear infection about a week and a half ago. Poor thing. The resulting fluid in her ear has challenged her hearing abilities.

Unless she is looking directly at me when I'm speaking or unless I am speaking VERY LOUDLY, she seems to be hearing me through mud. And randomly she is asking me some very odd questions.

Like, Why is Stacy having a hard time eating? When what I'd said was I can't wait for the mountains to start greening.

Or You want me sitting on my broom? When I'd said You need to be cleaning your room.

Or she will repeatedly ask the same question because she did not hear my answer. Mom can I have some peaches? Yes. Mom, can I have some peaches? Yes. Mom,... (you get the idea) So I have to magnify my gestures - huge head nod YES or exaggerated head shake NO. And this performance is only successful if she's able to see me.

The other morning I thought a movie would give us all a nice break from all the LOUD talking we were having to do, but then she brought me the remote and asked if I could turn up the noise. She couldn't understand what the Disney characters were saying to each other. And suddenly it seemed more like a potentially serious problem and less like a charming nuisance.

Even though she's taken a round of antibiotics, her hearing has not improved. We'll be visiting the doctor for another exam if it doesn't improve by Monday. I don't think my nerves can take much more of this RAISING my voice and ENUNCIATING every LAST syllable while making sure she's looking DIRECTLY at me. I feel like a broken record on full volume. (Okay I feel like that with my teenagers sometimes too, but this is getting ridiculous).

9 comments:

Omgirl said...

Daphne went through that for a while, but I dont know if it was because of her ears or because she just doesn't listen to a word I say! LOL.

I hope yours gets better soon.

Kimberly said...

Emma has mild hearing issues on a regular basis these days and those are enough to aggravate me at times. Disturbing was the other day when I asked her if she wanted some more milk and she replied, "More PINK?"

Um...yeah...we're going to get those ears of hers checked.

Good luck - hope it clears up for her soon!

The Boob Nazi said...

Hearing tests are fun. Hearing tests on little kids is even more fun.

Codi said...

Oh, trust me, I'm sure she's tired of not understanding what is being said. It is beyond frustrating to not be able to hear what is being said. It makes me feel like I just don't understand anything. Then I know that I'm irritating the other person and that makes me feel like crud too.

I hope it doesn't last much longer for her. Big hugs to her!

tiburon said...

ARGH my kids never listen to me and they don't have an ear infection. I think a good night out will do the trick ;)

Kim N said...

Poor Ellie. I hope she will get better soon and you can start lowering your voice! I raise my voice too much around here and I don't have an excuse. :)

Rachel Sue said...

We went through the same thing with my daughter. I hadn't even known she had an ear infection, it wasn't very bad. But it took about 2 weeks for her hearing to get back to normal.

Good luck!

kado! said...

my youngest is having a hard time hearing right now...the Dr. said he has some fluid in his ears and we have to just wait 4 weeks to have them re-checked before we do anything else more drastic. It makes me feel bad because he really can't hear a thing we say unless it is LOUD! he has never had any ear-infections...so this ear stuff is new to me. I really hope it drains naturally...poor guy. Hope your little one is hearing and feeling better soon too. =)

Amelia Merritt said...

Maybe it would help to learn just a few basic signs? Like yes, no, etc. I work for a VRS service provider so a lot of my clients sign and it's has been really fun to learn. Maybe she will find it relieves some of the frustration in the interim.