Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Just throwin it out there

Once, a friend told me that her hip had been hurting her terribly and she could not for the life of her think why. The pain worsened and made walking difficult. She visited the doctor, he ran some labs and then he told her to do a rather curious thing. He told her to go home and get comfortable, to lay down, and ask her body why it was hurting.

That's right. You heard me.

He told her to TALK to her body.

She figured what could it hurt to do as he'd said, and so she did. She asked. And do you know, her body answered.

That's right. You heard me. It ANSWERED.

It told her to remember that she had been planting trees the previous weekend and when she had jumped on the shovel, she had landed rather firmly on her left foot sending a pain into her hip joint. And that, my friends is how her doctor thought to check her bone density and discovered she had osteoporosis in her hip (and at quite a young age, I might add).

So.


Dear Body,

Dude, what the heck?
****

In other news, it appears my body is not on speaking terms with me.

9 comments:

Elizabeth-W said...

Maybe you need to buy it flowers it, take it out to a fancy restaurant or a massage first?

The Boob Nazi said...

Once, I couldn't get my warts to go away, so I had to THINK them away. It totally worked. I've never had another wart. That's right, body.

Kristina P. said...

Do you think this will work so I can lose 20 pounds in a week?

Emma J said...

Obviously, your body is not a dude. I think Elizabeth-W may be on to something. You gotta speak your body's Love Language, huh?

Tebbs Family said...

Can I become "angry mom" and demand my wrinkles and gray hair to disappear?! I'll let you know how it goes...

M-Cat said...

LOL - I think my body is giving me the silent treatment too.

Kimberly said...

My body speaks to me but there isn't much variety to the conversation. "Whine whine...why'd you get so fat? Ouch...the knees can't take this you know. Ooooh...that hurt. Careful or the ankles are going to mutiny..."

Sympathies. Truly. Not knowing is so maddening.

andrea said...

In my experience at my house, no one around here listens to me anyway. I'm betting that would include my body.

But, there is a lot of talking back, so maybe I could get some of that. Maybe that explains my recent teenage skin issues...my body is being sassy-mouth to me. See, another reason to dislike teens years.

Anonymous said...

Is everything ok? Any new developments? I have to say I know you and your determination, if you just focused that into positive talk to your body it would probably listen. I don't think it would think it had any other choice. Loves Kel