Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Carpal Tunnel Fairy

I'm 1/10th of the way done with making up my mom's gift. Only 8 home-made gifts to go, and I'm realizing my eyes are bigger than my crafting capability/perception of time necessary to complete said crafting.

I had carpal tunnel surgery about 8 years ago and the hand surgeon told me to stop do any activities that required me to grasp something between my thumb and index finger (um, can I get a shyeah, right?) or I'd be doomed to disfiguring arthritis in my very early golden years. I did take a small break from handicrafts, but every Christmas the urge to create jumps up and bites me and, well, I'm weak. I cave to it.

And pay for it, waking up with an arm that's on fire and all but dead. Who cares - it's Christmas - by Jove! and I'm going to craft something. By the way, I know I still have to ante up on my homemade thing for three people. Shawn, Alicia (of Totally Tebbs) and Kim (of Whims) I need your mailing addresses.

In other news, the kids have asked me if I'm going to make Reindeer Fodder, the hand-dipped chocolates, or the special Sweet Chex Mix this year (I suppose they've been paying attention to my generally healthier eating habits, after all).

I know it's Christmas, but do we really need all that junky, delicious food around for tradition's sake? Peanut butter chocolates (especially of the homemade, hand-dipped variety) really are the slippery slope to a size sixteen - at least, for me.

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I will send you my address. kthnx.

Kimberly said...

I make ginger snaps. Very good for you, is ginger.

I know, we'll start up some new traditions. Festive holiday salads perhaps?

Tebbs Family said...

Hey Lady--I'm supposed to give to YOU! You were the 3rd person to leave a comment (back in February) and I have 29 days left to get something in the mail to you... I haven't forgotten, just slow, so rest your weary hands!!

Mrs. Organic said...

Oh goodness! Who was my third person?

Jen said...

Yes, I do think we do need all the goodies. :)

I think from looking at my lifestyle (I just got a massive high score time-wasting on Facebook typing maniac...) and my grandmother's hands, that I'm probably also doomed for death-by-arthritis. We can commiserate together.

andrea said...

Crafting.....that sounds so heavenly. Wish I could throw all my cleaning out the window and craft instead. Unfortunately, I have that small thing of hosting a baptism luncheon at my house Saturday, oh, and that small detail of the baptism of my daughter prior.....so no crafting happening. I just hope that I can get the tree a little presentable before then!

Hope your hand/arm calm down! Arthritis runs in my family, so I look at my moms hands and know what I have to look forward to in another 40 years....sigh.

Anonymous said...

Be strong I know you will.

Mrs. Organic said...

Or enough yarn or enough chocolates, right?

myimaginaryblog said...

Ouch, this is making my wrists and forearms hurt just thinking about it. The day I am told I have to give up making stuff will be a very sad one indeed.

I do know a couple carpal-tunnel injury prevention exercises that help me a lot, but I don't know if they're allowed if you've already had surgery. But for what it's worth:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=carpal+tunnel+exercises&aq=4&aqi=g10&oq=carpal+tunnel+&fp=49bb1336baeea163

Omgirl said...

Hand dipped peanut butter chocolates??? Um, recipe please!!!