Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A must-read


Today's assignment:

I've read several WWII books, but so far my favorite is "In My Hands" by Irene Gut Opdyke. It tells the story from a holocaust rescuer's point of view. It begins in Poland where Irene is separated from her family and forced to work for the Russians, she eventually escapes and hides out in Russia for a time. For a short while she is reunited with her family and then is forced to work for the Germans. She is able to perform small and great acts of service along the way: feeding, reuniting and rescuing Polish Jews, but it is not without a great personal cost.

I have used many examples from this story as lessons in courage and standing for the right with my family. Please, please read it so we can discuss.

5 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

It's on my list now. Thanks for suggesting it.

Elizabeth-W said...

In my list of "to read". :)

Shawn said...

Sounds good---will have to give it a look-see!!

Anonymous said...

I also really liked this book. (great read) Kel

Kim N said...

I read this book a couple of months ago when I saw it listed on your Goodreads. I LOVED it and could not stop talking about it for days after I read it. My husband doesn't read non-business books much so I pretty much told him the entire story the night I finished it. I made my mom read it as soon as I finished so that we could talk about it.

There were a couple of things in that story that just amazed me and I get teary eyed just thinking about it. I won't give anything away here so I don't ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it.

Thanks for the recommendation!