Sunday, September 27, 2009

I've been converted

Here is the latest garden photo, it's looking a bit like my hair these days - quite untidy and wild.

Last year's onions were pitiful, however this year they are gargantuan.

Each is the size of both my fists together or a newborn's downy head. I've set them out to dry and will braid them together to hang in my pantry. The largest onion last year was roughly the size of a walnut - I think they received a little too much moisture. (I know that word just made some of you cringe, imagine how I felt typing it out. Shudder.)

My largest brandywine tomato so far has weighed in at just over 2 pounds. Somehow, despite my black thumb, things are growing here. We have a bounty of peppers this year due to an amazing fertilizer mix and just the right combination of water and sun. Serranos, Anaheims,

Jalapenos,

and bells. I spent the better part of yesterday roasting peppers, cooking a batch of Brandt's Lime Salsa, and





making these: oven-roasted tomatoes. I tell you, I've been converted. I tried it on both Romas and Better Boys, both are equally delicious. I put a handful of fresh basil and 6 cloves of peeled garlic into the food processor until it was all nicely minced. I added it to peeled, quartered, and seeded tomatoes, then dowsed the whole mess in olive oil. I poured them out onto a lined cookie sheet and sprinkled it with salt and pepper.

I put them all in a 375 degree oven for about 40-60 minutes, turning the tray every 20 minutes or so until most of the water had evaporated. Then I put them into gallon-sized freezer bags for a taste of summer this winter. Thanks to Emma J's friend Lisa B. for preaching the gospel of roasted tomatoes. They are divine! I put them on a wrap with oven-roasted turkey, baby romaine, chevre, and spicy mustard - what a treat. Try it, I promise you won't look back.