Sunday, September 27, 2009

I've been converted

Here is the latest garden photo, it's looking a bit like my hair these days - quite untidy and wild.

Last year's onions were pitiful, however this year they are gargantuan.

Each is the size of both my fists together or a newborn's downy head. I've set them out to dry and will braid them together to hang in my pantry. The largest onion last year was roughly the size of a walnut - I think they received a little too much moisture. (I know that word just made some of you cringe, imagine how I felt typing it out. Shudder.)

My largest brandywine tomato so far has weighed in at just over 2 pounds. Somehow, despite my black thumb, things are growing here. We have a bounty of peppers this year due to an amazing fertilizer mix and just the right combination of water and sun. Serranos, Anaheims,

Jalapenos,

and bells. I spent the better part of yesterday roasting peppers, cooking a batch of Brandt's Lime Salsa, and





making these: oven-roasted tomatoes. I tell you, I've been converted. I tried it on both Romas and Better Boys, both are equally delicious. I put a handful of fresh basil and 6 cloves of peeled garlic into the food processor until it was all nicely minced. I added it to peeled, quartered, and seeded tomatoes, then dowsed the whole mess in olive oil. I poured them out onto a lined cookie sheet and sprinkled it with salt and pepper.

I put them all in a 375 degree oven for about 40-60 minutes, turning the tray every 20 minutes or so until most of the water had evaporated. Then I put them into gallon-sized freezer bags for a taste of summer this winter. Thanks to Emma J's friend Lisa B. for preaching the gospel of roasted tomatoes. They are divine! I put them on a wrap with oven-roasted turkey, baby romaine, chevre, and spicy mustard - what a treat. Try it, I promise you won't look back.

13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Your garden is awesome.

Tebbs Family said...

I applaud your efforts this year!!! What a gorgeous harvest! Do you recommend the boxes? We always have a huge garden and I've wanted a way to better contain things. Share your thoughts...

Kado! said...

totally wish I could grow veggies like that!!! I have to go to my Farmers Market...but that is not so bad!! ;)

...it all looks YUMMY!!!

Elizabeth-W said...

Those look so good!!

Loralee and the gang... said...

Awesome alternative to canned stewed tomatoes or salsa...I will have a billion tomaotes ripening soon, and need to do something with them. Thanks! I will definetely try this!
:~D

Up in Bubbles said...

Dang those look good. I LOVED YOUR SPICY TOMATO SOUP. I forgot to eat the rest of it when I was there what a bummer.

Emma J said...

Okay, not only am I in danger of the judgement for seriously coveting your GARDEN and your amazing HARVEST, I am seriously jealous that you have your tomatoes DONE and I still have two boxes of (purchased)tomatoes to roast starting first thing tomorrow morning! Good on you!

Gorgeous produce, too - wow!

Shawn said...

I'M NOT WORTHY, I'M NOT WORTHY!!!!

Mrs. Organic said...

Tebbs family - boxes are the bomb. We are raising them another level next year. Don't tell Mr. O he might try to run off before I talk him into it.

Emma J - Don't worry, I'm just getting started. These are just my first batches. I definitely recommend seeding them (totally easy). I plan on adding them to my spicy tomato juice for a lovely cream soup. We are expecting a freeze on Tuesday so I've got my work cut out for me.

Does anyone want some peppers? We've been over-run. I will mail them to you. I will.

Heffalump said...

WOW! That is a great harvest!
Our garden didn't do so great this year, but it is our first attempt in this area. We have plans to improve it and to build raised beds next year.
Sugar Snap Peas were our biggest success. Tomatoes did so-so. They seem to only want to ripen one or two at a time. I am most proud of the 8 pumpkins (one for each of us!) that are turning orange in our garden right now. I planted seeds from last year's pumpkins, so these are special to me since I didn't buy the seeds.

Mrs. Organic said...

Our peas were pitiful this year, but we did get boatloads of beans. I would love to try pumpkins next year. if you take your green tomatoes and snip them before your fall frost they will ripen on the vine if you hang them in your garage or layer them between newspaper.

andrea said...

Wow. Beautiful harvest. Big green thumbs up to you!

Lisa B. said...

Wow, great post and beautiful everything. Your tomatoes are way prettier than mine turn out--glad to hear they're delicious, too!