Friday, June 19, 2009

The Upside to all this rain

With all the rain lately (we received the entire month's quota in one rainstorm and are now 5 inches above that), the garden has taken off.

We are averaging 1 lb of strawberries per day


There are already several summer squash and zucchini ready for the picking.




And nubs of little tomatoes are starting to show themselves (I'm sure I planted too many)






The bell peppers are coming along nicely


Although the peas are starting to taper off

And because the Sensory Garden is in bloom, I couldn't resist a few flower shots:
Tiffany rose

My beloved peony

Yarrow

Lavender about to burst

And a "lion" to preside over it all

13 comments:

Hewett Gardeners said...

nice "lion" :) It looks like your garden is bringing you lots of joy! i am so glad. . .

b. said...

Your garden is amazing!

(I can't believe you did that to your dog...)

Do strawberry plants come back the next year?

Mrs. Organic said...

b - yes they do. They're good for about two years, but each plant can put out a daughter plant. That way you can stagger them and get big berries each year.

Also, you can get June-bearing or the kind that produce all summer. I prefer to have both varieties - it seems that the June-bearing produce larger berries, though.

Kristina P. said...

That squash looks amazing!

Angela said...

Thanks for the comments on the berries- Wow a pound a day...I am impressed! I didn't realize that you should plant both varieties. My garden is coming a long- but this amazing. I say that every visit. Tell us what garden zone you are in, or state?

Mrs. Organic said...

Angela - I am in a garden zone of 5-7.

myimaginaryblog said...

WOW. A pound of strawberries a day? Yum. I'm kinda sad we didn't get our garden in until, well, to be honest, today. But maybe with such a cool, wet summer, our garden still stands a chance. But I wish I'd planted nasturtiums (my favorite) a month ago because they would have loved all this rain.

Kim N said...

Beautiful! I hope we are neighbors someday so I can stare over the fence at your garden. I just haven't got the hang of it yet...but I will not give up!

Anonymous said...

Wow your garden looks amazing. You really do have a green thumb. I still feel bad for your dog. Kel

Bubbly said...

Cute garden mom keep the cuteness. I love it!

JENNIFRO said...

WOW!!!!! I am amazed at the beauty and bounty. I've sure got a thing or two to learn!

JENNIFRO said...

That dog kills me!

Bubbly said...

That is Coppers hot tub.