Monday, May 4, 2009

Where I Live In My Head...

I don't know why, but this house has always called to me. I'm not really even that much of a yellow person, but this house (and the big tree just out of frame to the left) are absolutely beautiful in late spring. I want to sit on that bench and read under that tree or water the casacading geraniums she plants in the flower boxes every year. There are a barn and outbuildings to the back of the house and somehow, even though this house looks like it's been here for a hundred years, no one ever got around to pouring a driveway.

I will drive out of my way just to look at this place, I think the color lifts my spirits, like a glass of ice-cold lemonade on a hot summer afternoon. Where do you live ...in your head?

I'm recycling a few posts this week while I get a handle on the garden. Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I love yellow, and that house is gorgeous!

myimaginaryblog said...

There's a really neat old house on the corner right by my kids' elementary school that I love -- but wouldn't want the location. Actually I'm always noticing wonderful old houses in Orem (probably all too small and in need of new plumbing and wiring, but very cute) but they're all on main roads where I wouldn't want to live.

There's a large and very bright Mediterranean-style yellow house with bright white corner stones in our neighborhood that, much as I love the idea of bright colors on homes, really does just stick out like a sore thumb. It very recently changed ownership and the new owners immediately looked into painting the house -- and learned that you can't paint stucco, you actually have to re-do it, which is very expensive. I'd be tempted to just paint it anyway. That did answer a question from years ago -- we lived in student housing in Berkeley that was in hideous shades of mustard and brown dating from way back when (I promise it was dark and depressing, although I guess the color scheme's come back in style in recent years) and I always wondered why the heck they never ever painted them. But hey were stuccoed, and that's probably why.

Loralee and the gang... said...

There's something about a yellow house, for sure. Every house that we have lived in, I mean every-single-one have been various shades of yellow when we bought them, or we have decided would look best painted yellow. We didn't set out to always have a yellow house, but that's sure how it turned out! So, needless to say, I hear ya!
"~D

Emma J said...

Is there room for me to live there in that yellow house, too? Can I at least come and visit?

Otherwise I think I live in Robert Frost's "The Silken Tent."

Nancy Face said...

That's the color of my house, but it's cuter than my house! :)

Millie said...

I live here except it's real in my head.

andrea said...

That is a darling house....I'd take it!

Shawn said...

Love yellow also---especially in houses! But I live in that house that we didn't get, in my head.

Remember the one on my blog? I am constantly living in that one....