Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Apparently, I'm health-conscious even when I'm UNconscious

Firstly, I've been on a health kick making fresh strawberry smoothies every morning. Every. Morning.

Secondly, I've battled with insomnia ever since I had my last baby (three years ago) and had my thyroid removed. I take medications to keep my thyroid cancer at bay, and while I'm all for being cancer-free, not being able to shut my brain off at night really sucks stinks.

Thirdly, Ambien. I first took it on my trip back East last Fall, and then steadily since March (out of sheer desperation). It has definitely helped me get some much needed sleep, but not with out a few side effects. For instance, if I don't get in bed right after taking it I become extremely talkative about everything and nothing (poor Mr. O). And I usually don't remember it so I sometimes repeat myself (poor Mr. O).

Or I might get a little dizzy and feel like I'm in need of getting my sea legs.

And sometimes, my vision is affected. Just ask my sister Kelley - I freaked a little because she looked like this when the lights were out, only she glowed in the dark.

So anyway, this morning I woke up to get the kids ready for school and noticed a blender-full of smoothie sitting in the fridge. Strange. I guess Mr. O made one for breakfast and saved the rest for us. Only it looked a little odd. I couldn't tell exactly what was in it - maybe blueberries, or some spinach?

Only problem was nobody could drink it. I called and asked him what was in the smoothie he'd made. He said, "I thought you made that." Hmm, interesting.

When my 11 year old daughter got home from school I thanked her for her thoughtfulness, after all she has been known to make her own 'concoctions.' She had no idea what I was talking about.
this was not only interesting, but mildly disturbing.

Because the only person left who could have made it is me, and I certainly don't remember making it. I did stumble out of bed at 6 AM this morning to help Ty when he was feeling sick. Maybe I made it then? Or was it the night before?

Either way, the blueish purple stains on my jammie shirt don't lie. It had to be me.

At least I had the presence of mind to refrigerate it. Even though it was disgusting.

12 comments:

Elizabeth-W said...

Oh sister! I could tell you Ambien stories. I know SO MANY women who have done crazy/dangerous things on Ambien and not remembered.
If you're doing it, I don't think it is just going to go away.
Have you ever taken Restoril? I've got a guy who did crazy stuff on ambien, switched to restoril and was fine for a year. Dr bumped up dosage and all the sudden this person is showing up strange, strange places at 3 am.
Back down to regular dosage of restoril and was fine again.
Also, on Dear Prudence at slate dot com someone wrote in about finding out he was having an affair while on Ambien! He was so horrified.
All things considered, yucky smoothies isn't so bad. :)

Mrs. Organic said...

Affairs? Well! That is something you'd hope you'd remember.

The worst I've done is send an email or two that I swear some other person must've hacked into my account and sent. Thanks goodness for understanding friends.

Heffalump said...

Scary!
So, if we see a blog post that seems out of character, we can chalk it up to Ambien? Hey, you might be able to get away with quite a bit with that as an excuse!

Shawn said...

So funny, but not so funny...(but I laughed out loud anyway)

Insomnia is my middle name---but I find that if I take one tablet of Valerian and a dose of Zicam nighttime flu medicine---I am knocked out.

Horrific, I know.

Mrs. Organic said...

Shawn - and no side effects the next day? no grogginess?

Millie said...

You know what, I'm going to just point out the obvious and say, "At least you didn't blend your fingers in the blender."

Yikes, that sounds like hardcore stuff.

myimaginaryblog said...

Wow, after reading these comments I'm hoping you can find something different that works for you. Hopefully weird emails and weird concoctions will be the extent of the problem. Have you heard that story from the Moth (I think it's been featured on NPR also) by the guy who has a sleep disorder -- he talks about thinking he sees a flying jackal when he's sleeping? It's very funny but also scary.

Kristina P. said...

I have never taken Ambien. Nyquil knocks me out. I can't even imagine what Ambient would do to me!

Summer said...

Wow, not being able to remember making that would have freaked me out big time. Any medicine that could do that to my mind is a medicine I ain't willing to try. Of course I don't have insomnia...

Mrs. Organic said...

Insomnia (especially when it lasts for months on end) will drive a person to drastic measures.

I apologize to anyone I may have EUI'd.

Elizabeth-W said...

LOL! :D

sue-donym said...

By far my favorite post. Mainly because I can relate. I too am an ambien user, and have made a rule for myself to go directly to bed. Do not pass go, do not engage in conversation.
In the past, I have written blog posts, emails, and Facebook updates that I thought were hilarious, only to wake up the next morning and realize, yeah, not so much.