Monday, April 13, 2009

Moonlight Beach - The perfect family beach


Today we visited one of the best kept secrets in southern California: Moonlight Beach in Encinitas. We highly recommend it - as in 12 thumbs-up recommend it.

There is a drop-off zone so you don't have to haul your stuff for miles, parking up the hill (which seems to be free in the off-season), a nearby bathroom and foot showers, actual MANNED lifeguard towers (got to witness my first ever rescue), 3 volleyball courts, a snack shack, a long stretch of flat beach, and if your kids get tired of digging in the sand (as if), there's a huge playground/park.

And now for the obligatory beach pics:

I like to call this one the "I may look innocent and delightful, but I wonder what a sopping wet roll of toilet paper looks like..." look.

Seaweed bracelet

Surf

The beach is sands-on experience

Big Sur/Sir

Surfer

Funkadelic Fir

Cutie Patootie

Ditto, that

More Ocean

Never too young to start your quest for skin cancer

I married those calves. Are they not AMAZING? (you really must click to biggify - you know you want to).

12 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Man, this makes me miss California. And I don't say that often.

I grew up in Riverside, so you understand.

Tebbs Family said...

Sounds like an AWESOME beach! We'll have to find it next year when we're down there again. I NEVER get tired of So. Cal (except for the traffic and smog, of course). Have fun!

myimaginaryblog said...

Stupid landlocked Utah.

( :) )

andrea said...

That looks so fun. I'm officially jealous. We have now enjoyed our one nice day of Spring break this week. It's cooling off and raining now, and we should have snow tomorrow! :) Maybe I should consider taking the kids for their first ski lesson on Thursday. ;)

mom_of2boys said...

I'm ready to pack my things and head to the beach!! I don't see it happening though so thanks for sharing your pictures!

Heffalump said...

Looks like you all had a lovely time!
I still prefer Oregon Beaches. It's just how I roll, and...where I live.

Emma J said...

Your pictures look idyllic. Though your last blog makes me laugh and remember why vacations are often more fun reliving as photos!

Have a great rest of a trip!

Loralee and the gang... said...

I wish I could go there! I am sooooo ready for summer after our 5 months of winter - we had an inch on the ground this am! Of course it all melted off by 9 am. And we have temps in the 70's forecasted by the weekend. The weekend! Can you believe it! Welcome to spring in n. Idaho.
:~D

The Lazy Organizer said...

You guys sure go to some fun places! We need to learn how to take a vacation once in a while. It's beautiful!

betterislittle said...

Love the pictures of your daughter! Too sweet, but I can see the mischevious look in her eyes. LoL

JENNIFRO said...

Wonderful photos. Looks like a fabulous vacation--nothing beats the beach in my opinion.

Kenna said...

Looks like you guys had a ton of fun i am so jealous