Saturday, February 28, 2009

Stepping back from the edge

What a week! Each of us, but Spielberg, has taken a turn at being captain of the Fever ship. Ty has been coughing since Monday evening and I have been listening, since then, to his lungs for any signs of pneumonia. So far, so good. Although he sounds like death warmed over when he is coughing, and looks like it, too. His fever went away yesterday, but has returned this afternoon. Still, his lungs are clear as a bell. I'm left wondering if I'm going deaf because a cough like that has to be originating from his lungs. My mom and my neighbor saved the day (twice!) by bringing in dinner.

Thursday and Friday I was struck with a fever of my own, wanting nothing more than to sink into bed. My eyes felt the pinch of an invisible vise grip, and all Friday I had "shimmery" vision--an aura migraine. What good is being sick if you can't have a lie-in and read? I couldn't even make out the words. The strangest part of it all is the sensation that my back is sunburned even though it doesn't look any different than normal. Any movement brings the pain of a thousand icy, pin pricks - especially the brush of clothing against my skin (perhaps a reason to strip down to the essentials and lie motionless?). The ice/fire pain is still plaguing me and Dr. Google is of no benefit. He is only giving me reasons to worry (MS, Fibromyalgia, etc) so I told him to pack up and get out. It's over, we're through.

I'm sure Ty and I will be visiting our in-the-flesh doc on Monday, and after we've handed over our copays, he'll pronounce us viral and suggest we just wait it out with plenty of fluids and Mucinex. Oh, how I long for Spring!