Thursday, December 18, 2008

Confession

I read YA. Does it mean I never grew up? Maybe.

Except that I have - I've got the gray hair and wrinkles to prove it.

While I enjoy slogging through reading the classics, informational texts, sci-fi novels, pieces of legislation, and the occasional knitting pattern, my brain enjoys a vacation from time to time.

However, you won't catch me posting all those books on Goodreads. In my experience you end up reading quite a few titles to find the gems (the gems I will post). I suppose that means I'm too shallow or immature to 'fess up completely - or is it the other way 'round? Somehow thinking that I only list the cream and not the skim makes me feel a little better about it.

So what I want to know is do you list everything you read?

8 comments:

Amber said...

No, but that's only because I forget about many books that I have read, and I was a YA not to many years ago so I don't think it matters much.

:)

Anonymous said...

No, but I always like to hear awhat others like so let me know. I could use a good read right now. (brain candy that is) No stuff where I really have to think. Kel

Bree Biesinger Despain said...

Reading YA is a good thing, imo!

I only post books on goodreads that I can give 4 or 5 star reviews to. But the biggest reason I do so is because the writing world is very small and you never know when you'll cross paths with the editor or agent or author of a book you panned. I once gave a negative review to a book--and then realized a few weeks later that the author was actually a friend of mine from my favorite author message board (she used an avatar.) I felt really lame and took down the review right away. From then on I take the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" approach with the vibes I put out in the writing world. Good book karma.

P.S. Thanks for linking to my blog! I'm very flattered.

b. said...

I read a very nasty Anne Rice once...I don't think I've ever told anyone until this very moment.

Tirzah said...

I love YA fiction!

Heffalump said...

I don't post books that I forget I read...and I don't always remember to update my list.
Lately I have not had much time to read, although I did read The Tales of Beetle the Bard yesterday.

I enjoy YA books and children's novels as well. Usually I find that they don't contain the smut that many other books do, so I am happy to admit to reading books meant for younger readers!

athena said...

i don't. i try not to list books that i don't like. i figured if it's not a good read then it's not a goodread. :)

Elizabeth-W said...

If something is horribly horrible I will note it to try to save someone else the agony. But I don't post everything I read.
I just got back from the library and got 4 books for my 8 year old, so I'll be reading those for the next few days in order to pass them along to her (or not). I try to post those so if they're too 'old' or too hard for her now, I'll have list for later.