Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bookshelf Tour


I've decided to jump on the bookshelf theme at TAT's home tour. This room has 12 foot ceilings and even though it's only 10x10.5, I'd love to put tall, tall bookcases all around the room and have one of those sliding ladders - a girl can dream can't she? The armoire houses the computer, printer, files and a fold-away chair that slides under the keyboard tray.

I know I need something on the wall above the armoire, but I'm not quite sure what to put there.

The piano which some dear child took a paper clip to. I tell myself, "It's only a piano and someday this will be funny."
We've got bookshelves (much smaller ones) scattered through the house: two in our bedroom, and two more in the kids' rooms, and a few shelves in the storage room hold the ones we don't use as often. In Ellie's room we use a cute white-washed metal tub to hold her picture books right next to her bed. We cannot get enough books in this house. How about you?

9 comments:

Gracia said...

Oh my fantasies about sliding ladders... and about having bookcases as tidy as yours!

Island School House said...

I recently put a bucket of books next to Mouse's bed too! It works perfectly for her because she doesn't have to try to hold up other books to get one back on a shelf. It solved the issue of books being placed on top of a row! You are one smart mama!

Kim N said...

I have always wanted one of those tall bookshelves with a sliding ladder too! But for now I would just be happy with A bookcase. My husband is a furniture hater. He loves things very basic and simple and we haven't found the right bookcase that he can picture holding books and not just dust. I will keep trying! Until then, my books sit in boxes in the garage, on my night stand, and in the closet by my computer.

Jendeis said...

So beautiful! I'd say hang a big picture above the armoire. Or a large-ish (in terms of width) fake green plant.

superpaige said...

Oh, the beautiful bookshelves! I would love to get me some of those, myself. And thanks for your kind comments about my tomatoes. I hope they will ripen up, but I'll be covering them this weekend when it gets cold, I guess.

Heffalump said...

We love books here too, and have more books than shelves. Our "Library" room (really just a tiny room off of the front door) is filled with boxes of books waiting for us to build shelves for them.

Angela said...

I love my books and my shelves too! I gained that simple appreciation from visiting Monticello!

Anonymous said...

Add some color to the room. KEl

The Lazy Organizer said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. Your poor piano! Your bookshelves are lovely.