Monday, August 18, 2008

New York, New York!

The night before we left, Jill treated us to hair makeovers. I love having bangs again, thanks so much Jill! We also received a gift basket full of fun girl stuff (headbands, jewelry, books, stationary, and a special surprise for our trip).

Of course, Kelley (my sis) looks great - her blue eyes are amazing.
(She asked me to use a different photo and now blogger won't let me upload a new one)

Our hotel - it was an upgraded room and the beds were so comfortable - the bathroom was not what I expected, but we were hardly in our room. We had great views of downtown from our corner window.
No trip to New York is complete without this guy -
The Naked Cowboy - drop a dollar in his boots or guitar and he'll pose with you. I obviously need to start drinking, I was too much of a stick in the mud to pose with the butt-grabber.
The lovely subway - it's far dirtier than the DC Metro but pretty easy to navigate.
I love the mosaics down there
Note the radiant glow from the steamy subway facial (no charge). I can't believe how stuffy it was down there.
The day we went to get tickets (but ran out of time) there was a power outage at the Empire State building, stranding people on the observation deck and in elevators. I'm glad we missed out on that action.
This is Spielberg's favorite shot because it shows perspective (and the trolley car/bus is pretty cool too)
This is my favorite shot - I love the reflection of the building across the street.

This was our evening entertainment. We were probably a little too close (we could see the goat spitting as he sang), but it was great! I want to see it again. I would really love to see it with Kristen Chenoweth.
Then we ate at the Starlight Diner where the waiters and waitresses are trying to get their break in theatre and they perform for you. The performances were great, but the food and the restroom were the worst I've seen (just a word to the wise)

Midnight on Times Square
If it's possible, Times Square was even busier on Sunday afternoon - you could hardly walk.
We shopped a bunch down on Canal Street, but we weren't wearing the right clothes to get the designer deals (or so I'm told). It was so fun, I'm glad that I got over my traveling jitters and took some chances. Where is that Naked Cowboy when you need him?