Saturday, August 13, 2011

Brand Loyalty

Let's talk about this idea of loyalty to brands. I will always prefer certain products over others even though they cost me more and it kills me to pay for it. How about you?

For starters...I will always use a certain brand of deodorant. I tried switching to a different brand, even a generic and it just wasn't the same. When it comes to deodorant, it's all about the smell and the effect. And guess what, I learned about this product from a fellow blogger, La Yen. Booyah! to the power of the internets.

It's the same with shampoo. End results and smell count for everything. I'm a Matrix Sleek Looks girl, and I love the way it makes my hair feel.

I used to be a Satin Care shave gel girl, and I never thought I'd change. But! Now I use Barbasol. I may smell like a man, but it's cheaper and it does a far better job of leaving my legs feeling soft and smooth while sparing my sensitive skin. And I never get the post-shave itchies (you know, the thing where you'd like to scratch your legs off the night after you've shaved). And really, I don't smell like a man for long because it rinses right off.

Now, lest you get the wrong idea, I'm not a generics snob. I don't mind allergy meds that are house brands--I find they do the job just as well--however, don't even try to take away my Advil. The coating on those pills is awesome and something about them doesn't seem to bother my stomach like generics do. I won't even buy generic Children's Advil. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I swear it works better and faster. I'm like the unofficial Advil Ambassador.

And don't get me started about the difference in my lab results when I'm taking Levoxyl versus a generic thyroid. Did you know that the makers of generics aren't required to retest their products even though they use different fillers and binders? They only have to have the same active ingredients. Sometimes it makes for a difference you can feel, sometimes not.

So, tell me are there any brands you're fiercely loyal to? Come back tomorrow and we'll talk about food brands.

Disclosure: none of these companies has any idea who I am, but I did receive 5 bottles of Children's Advil at Blogher '11 because I was such a rabid fan. I must admit, it's one of my favorite swag items.

12 comments:

Kristina P. said...

There are very few things I have to have brand wise. Really, I have to have Diet Coke. Not Pepsi, not generic. But I buy A LOT Of generic items.

Kalli said...

bio silk hair smoother

Dove deodorant

Burts Bees chapstick

Kalli said...

bare minerals foundation

Cover Girl mascara, the stuff in the fat orange tube

Gramee said...

I have used the same deodorant for 40 years I am afraid to try something else.

I did not do well on the generic thyroid med. either!.. I had to have the brand name. I have a seizure medicine that I have to have brand not generic.

La Yen said...

I love my Loreal Mascara. And I switched from Barbasol TO Satin Care. I used to be really picky about Tampon brands, but I got poor and found out they were all acceptable. Boo to being poor.

whitneyingram said...

Pureology hair smoothing serum

Sophie Kashnuk black eyeliner pencil

Cover Girl pressed powder

Dawn original scent dish soap

And I just asked this to my husband who is sitting next to me. He says:

Taylormade Penta golf balls

Banana Republic slacks and jeans

Mrs. Organic said...

Oh yes Bare Minerals for me too. And Joy dish detergent (I'm highly allergic to Dawn).

Funny about the thyroid meds, when you've had cancer they insist on name brands to keep your levels suppressed.

Kalli said...

and yes to the Banana Republic Men's slacks and shirts

but we only buy them at the outlets

and haven't in a few years, poor Paul, no new church clothes.

Sell...Party Of 4 said...

Can I admit that I am not fiercely loyal to any brand, but I will only buy name brands...I sound snotty.

Mrs. Organic said...

I cannot bring myself to buy Walmart's house brand for any type of food product. Even if I knew the same company made all the house brands, I still couldn't do it. Their packaging turns me completely off.

M-Cat said...

Don't mess with my toilet paper, or toothpaste. Period. Last purchase Spenda bought the wrong ass wipe and that's what I have been muttering to him ever since. And did he buy a 4 pack? NO! I freakin huge 12 pack *shakes head*

If it ain't Cottonelle with aloe and E - I don't want it near my cooch

Kimcheepot said...

Pine sol, Ajax, Mitchum deodorant, Redkin All soft shampoo/ conditioner, Tide, Tahari, Coach, White house Black Market, Egyption cotton, diet Dr Pepper...