Sunday, January 9, 2011

Well, it's not THE corner, but it's a start

Friday was my first day out and about. Only, not really because a couple of hours probably doesn't count in anyone else's book. We had some legal things to take care of now that Ty is 18, and they were scheduled before my surgery was.

I actually, put myself in a vertical position, showered, blow-dried my hair, put actual makeup on (which was pointless, except that it gave me that little oomph towards feeling like a real girl again). And thankfully, despite having my innards all full of air still, I found a pair of jeans I could squeeze into. Note to self: belts with lots of metal, shoes with buckles and blingy jeans are not friends with metal detectors, duh.

I never did make it through the detector without setting it off, thankfully I looked harmless enough and so did Ty (that guy has got enough metal in his body to power a small country), that they let us go up anyway. Good thing too, if I'd had to remove my jeans I'm not really sure there was anyway I'd be getting back into them.

Everything went well, except there was a delay in proceedings due to the traffic jam caused by pothole repairs on the freeway. But the important thing is that things went well. On the way home we even ventured to make a pit-stop for a burger pick-up. Both Ty and I had reached our out-n-about limits, it was time to be home.

I came home, did that burger some justice, and then crawled back into my stretchy pants and under the covers where I belonged. But this weekend I did manage to wash my sheets (I am sure there is nothing better for the soul than fresh, warm sheets), clean the bathroom mirror and shine up the faucets. It's not the corner, but it's a start. And I can be happy with a start.

All of this seems so trivial in light of other very serious tragedies, both in the lives of people I know and those I don't. I know it is. My heart goes out to those people. I am so, so sorry for your loss. There are no words, only love.

7 comments:

Kristina P. said...

We all have our challenge, no matter how minute they may seem.

Deena said...

Rock on with your blingy-jeaned self. You are awesome.

veronica said...

Good for you! Getting out of the house is a major step after that surgery. A few hours TOTALLY count.
Don't get down on yourself. Let your body heal on it's own time.

Take care! :)

Elizabeth-W said...

I swear women say getting that H-ectomies are no fun--as in weeks long recovery! :( Yucko.
I figure if it took me about 2 months after c sections to feel myself again, that the other would be just about as long.
Hope you're feeling better soon!

Emma J said...

If I were a superhero (since you already are) and we were sitting together over a nice scone and cup of cocoa at the Hall of Justice then I could say what I want to:

Trivial, schmivial. These are all victories over the dark matter that otherwise threatens the universe everywhere.

You give me courage.

Mrs. Organic said...

Deena! devil horns, rock on!

Veronica - it's that old demon - impatience. I've demanded a lot from my body these past few years and I am just used to her listening to me, mostly.

EW - it's not so much in a painful way except that bits and parts are slowly remembering they have nerves, but more in a wear you out much sooner, gotta get back for my nap sorta way.

Monday we may just even be brave enough to attempt, duhn, duhn, duhn....the grocery restock. And I will be very careful not to push/lift/drag or carry more than the good doctor said.

Emma J - how is it you always know just the thing to say? and then you do say it? I admire that in a friend.

Alexa and Tamara said...

I was wondering how everything turned out for you on Friday. You are one busy Mamma! I have to say the burger you mentioned sounds pretty darn good - esp after my week of narcotics :)