Thursday, October 28, 2010

Orange Chicken


3 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

To bread Chicken
Dip chicken in the following mixture:
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Then coat chicken in the following mixture:
1 c. flour
1/2 c. cornstarch

Repeat if you like a more battered chicken. Fry 3-4 minutes in hot oil until chicken is a goldeny brown. Don't overcook the chicken (cut a few nuggets open to see that it's cooked when you're first starting out).

Orange Sauce
10 Tbsp Sugar
10 Tbsp Vinegar
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
Zest of one orange
1 Tbsp corn starch

Mix all together and boil over medium heat until thickened. I also add OJ one Tbsp at a time, to taste. Set aside.

In a large wok/pan, saute
2 cloves of pressed garlic
1 Tbsp minced ginger root (can sub 1/2 tsp ginger spice if needed)
in 3 Tbsp chicken broth

until you can smell the garlic, gingery goodness. Add 1 bunch of chopped green onions and crushed red pepper to your desired level of spiciness. Then dump in the sauce and the fried chicken pieces. Serve over rice (we use Basmati - smells absolutely divine).

Enjoy!

Just curious, have you ever had a day like this:

Thankfully, it ended with one of these:

Ahhhh.

10 comments:

Dede said...

Oh my gosh, this looks so good. If I eat food like this, will I get muscles like yours? Those arms look amazing! :-)

Kristina P. said...

Would it be cheating to buy the bottle of orange sauce at Panda Express?

Up in Bubbles said...

Beautiful sunset, I could really use one of those right now. You will have to read my blog it's all about you and shows those darling dresses you made. Thanks! I love you!
ps. the chicken looks yum!

athena said...

we really do need to get together for a girls getaway. i'll take pics while you cook. what say you? :)

athena said...

oh, and you look great! love the image of the sunset too. what's the saying about a coloured sky at night is a shepherd's (sp?) delight?

Mrs. Organic said...

athena - Deal!

Red sky at night, sailor's delight
Red sky at morning, sailor take warning.

Nancy Face said...

That sounds SCRUMPTIOUS! I really wish I actually enjoyed cooking!

Omgirl said...

oooo....I love orange chicken! I'm so going to try this. I ponied up and spent the $7 for a bag of frozen P.F. Chang's orange chicken last week, and then forgot it in the back of my car overnight. DANGIT. so I am still craving. Yeah for for recipes!

Mrs. Organic said...

I hate when that happens.

Gramee said...

I just made the orange chicken, I think this will be a hit with my family.
A lot better and less expensive than
Costco.

I will be excited to see the other recipes you are going to post!