Sunday, March 7, 2010

Death by Garlic-Roasted Beta carotene

I would like to say that every mealtime is a joyous occasion, that everyone is loving and polite but that would be uh, overstating things a bit. Sometimes we are just happy when dinner is over and no one has died. To that end, in spite of what my son thinks, here is a recipe that won't kill you or stunt your growth.

Assemble various veggies
Some of our favorites: sweet potatoes, yams, carrots, butternut and acorn squash, pearl onions, garlic, sweet onions, asparagus

Peel all (except for squash) and chop into largish chunks
Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper

Bake at 375 for one hour (toss in the asparagus for the last 10 minutes)

Can't you just smell it?

The squash just peels right off the skin, enjoy! I promise it won't kill you.

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I am all over this!

Karlene said...

It looks good and I don't even like all that stuff.

So what's the diff between a sweet potato and a yam?

Mrs. Organic said...

Yams have orange flesh and sweet potatoes are golden. The tastes are different too.

Anonymous said...

Dang that looks good. I wish I would just do that for myself instead of just stare at your wishing it would magically appear on my table. To bad that Wonka TV thing wasn't real. KEl

andrea said...

That does look good. Maybe if I ever cook again I'll put this one my list. Seriously, it's getting bad....(the not cooking thing)

Loralee and the gang... said...

That looks sooo good! Unfortunately, I'd be the only one eating it. I'd force my kids to eat it, but my husband is the biggest pickey eater offender in our family! I suppose I could make a small batch, right...

myimaginaryblog said...

Mmm. We do something similar but just with (regular) potatos, onions, carrots, and sometimes broccoli or brussels sprouts. It's really good with a cheese sauce, too.

myimaginaryblog said...

Oh, look, I don't know how to spell potatoes! :)