Monday, April 6, 2009

Vision

Pardon me while I wax a bit serious/earnest. I am sitting here looking at the multi-colored walls in this tiny hospital room for two (so tiny, in fact, that two wheelchairs, the trashcan and a bedside table have to be wheeled out into the hallway before the one of the boy's beds can be brought in) and I am grateful and sorrowful all at once.

Next to us is a 9 year old boy. A bi-polar, double leg amputee, red-headed 9 year old boy. Seems hardly fair, these two boys—one just halfway through his elementary school career and the other a nearly 17 year old beginning high school—both of them taking off a day of school for medical procedures that have become all too common occurrences.

Both these boys should be walking the halls, exchanging jokes, playfully pushing buddies into lockers, or stealing the fries from a friend's plate, but not propped up in bed strung out on Valium, watching reruns of Dr. Phil while mom holds their hand.

Yet, looking out the window I see the hills are finally greening up, an unspoken promise of the coming Spring. The sun is out in full force, the air is a balmy 50 degrees, and skies the color of swimming pools hint at the end of a dreadfully long winter. Time to break out the capris and celebrate? Oh how an eternal winter changes one's skin's perspective.

Dr. Michelle, a black-haired young resident–her only distinguishing characteristic (besides gleaming teeth and ebony brows) is a diamond nose piercing. Why is my first thought not to take her seriously because of the tiny, sparkling diamond in her nose? But I am wrong and she is completely attentive and personable to both these boys in her care. She is another bit of green on the foothills of the valley of Tyler's Winter.

13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

What is the reason they are having their legs amputated?

Mrs. Organic said...

Oh goodness, I didn't mean to say that's what they were having done. His room mate has been a double amputee since toddlerhood but was having bone spurs removed from where his prostheses attach and Ty was in for more injections to hopefully reduce the pain in his hip (we practically have to peel him off the ceiling whenever we move his leg, which unfortunately is a lot).

Both of these respective procedures have become a routine thing for each of these boys rather than the usual activities you might expect. I'm grateful for such wonderful medical care, yet it also makes me reflective. I blame it on old man Winter.

Stacy said...

I hope it really helps Ty this time. I can't believe he's nearly 17, Wow!

b. said...

I have a few questions to ask God, should I ever see Him again.

I pray that it works for Ty this time too...You are my hero.

andrea said...

I hope it works for him this time. There's a lot of stuff that isn't fair, and dealing with pain like that ranks right up there at the top.

Millie said...

((((Mrs. O))))

"...but a small moment..."

Shawn said...

This was a great post----so sad, but still there is hope in it....

I hope that Ty's spring gets easier---and his summer warm and green.

Heffalump said...

Someday, they will both be free to run and enjoy bodies that are perfect and free from pain.

Terri said...

Sorry not to be there to help "while away" the hours at the hospital. I love talking to you and seeing how patiently Ty endures all that he has to pass through. Older now, I spend alot of time trying to understand what is not easily understood. I just know that whatever the experience ( and I know many are dealing with difficult things) there is an important and valuable side to it. Even if it is only that it causes us to ponder more. I love the growth, tenderness, gratitude, etc. that I see in the lives of those who are conquering their circumstances. There are so many heroes out there and I am especially glad to know some of them. Love Mom miss you all!

Mrs. Organic said...

Mom- Your company was sorely missed yesterday, but what a nice change for you to be at a hospital seeing new life come into the world.

Elizabeth-W said...

This is good stuff, Mrs. O.

myimaginaryblog said...

What a beautiful (if sad) post. Here's hoping for a bright Spring.

JENNIFRO said...

That was so beautifully expressed. Poetic.