Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mama's gonna buy you a puppy

That is Ellie's latest twist on Papa's Gonna Buy You a Mockingbird. I sing it to her almost every night, but tonight she said she wanted to sing to me. She started, "Mama's gonna buy you a puppy." The next few lines also include a coat that if it gets broke, momma will buy you a picture and if that gets broke it was rilly probably made of glass. And then she states "ree end" with a flourish, but means the end. I just love how her little mind works.

When I took her ponytails out tonight, she begged me NOT to take off her puppy ears. Lately, she has commandeered a cookie monster-like, fuzzy four foot long scarf as her puppy tail. She sets out two saucers (on the floor) in the mornings and asks for one to be filled with water and the other with "puppy" food. I oblige and watch her lick up her water and nibble at her makeshift kibble.

Just last Friday she begged Nicole to take her for a walk. Of course, she meant with a leash hooked to the loop on the neck of her coat. When Nicole obliged, Ellie got down on all fours (outside, no less) and started barking enthusiastically. Nicole was slightly mortified to walk her down the street.

It kills me that one day she's going to grow out of this adorable stage and start playing with Barbies.