Tuesday, December 23, 2008

"Gingerbread" Houses


I say "gingerbread" because these are really graham cracker houses. Every year, I hit the candy aisle, load up with graham crackers and eggwhites so my Aunt can help the kids assemble their candy dreamhouses (she uses a unique burnt sugar method to hold them together - it's very much like edible hot glue). They get more imaginative every year. I just love to watch their creations unfold.

Here's Spielberg's:

Michelle's

Nicole's:

Ellie's (who had suprisingly little help beyond frosting placement):

Don't you just love the sugar puff shingles? And the well in the yard? And the pretzel fence? To the left is also a chocolate wafer "seesaw" with her and the neighbor boy (the red and green gumdrops) on it. Thanks Cocoa for the sugar cone tree idea!

Be sure to stop by Lara's to see what others are talking about - especially the cute aprons she made for Christmas.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, these look fantastic. Who did these with them? Which aunt is so great? They look so yummy. Kel

Marne said...

Holy crap! We do graham cracker houses too but ours aren't this elaborate...cool!

mnkristy said...

WOW! Those are fantastic! How creative and wonderful. Great job!

b. said...

Your kids have got SKILLS!!

Amy said...

Wow! Those look great! Have a fun Christmas!

Dreamer said...

Wow, those are awesome. It seems I make the same house year after year. It is great to see new ones and get new ideas. Hope I remember them for next year!

Kim N said...

Those are great! Ellie's looks better than any I have done. We still haven't done ours (because of sickness) so hopefully we have time tomorrow.

JENNIFRO said...

Wow....those are just awesome. MUCH better than the kits! I've got to remember this for next year.....

Anonymous said...

Ellie's house is also fully protected from marauding sweet-tooth sibling, because she licked every piece before attaching them to the frosting!

Making "gingerbread" houses has its perks!

Mr. O

Sharon said...

I LOVE how your houses turned out!! Would you be able to send me the "glue" recipe and how you go about doing these? I like this idea so much better rather than the sets you can buy at the store.

Tirzah said...

Those are awesome! I hope you had a Merry Christmas!