Saturday, May 3, 2008

There's more than one way to skin a cat, plant a garden, whatever

Of course the sun came out after I took these. Here is our attempt at spring gardening. In the second to last bed are the Sequoia strawberries and in the last bed are red, yellow and sweet onions, cauliflower, cabbage, and a lettuce leaf medley. In the back, if you squint, you can see sweet peas trying to make their way up the trellis.

The triangle bed on the left will be a vertical garden and house our butternut squash, cukes, baby pumpkins, cantaloupe, and sugar baby watermelons. Next to that we have the peach tree in blossom. The next to go in will be the carrots (in 2 weeks), we'll plant a square every two weeks and hope that it keeps us in carrots. We also want to plant some spinach, but it's so late already, that I'm sure we'll be picking it when it's still 'baby' spinach. The third bed over from the house will house potatoes, beans, marigolds, peppers and some herbs.

The fourth bed is still undecided, but might contain a zucchini, a summer squash, or maybe raspberries if I can figure out how to keep them from straying beyond the grow box.

As you might be able to tell from the photo, we're using the square foot garden method (sorta - no facial hair for Mr. Organic, and definitely not the straw hat).

We're going to try growing tomatoes up the trellis in the strawberry box, but there are so many varieties I like, that it's impossible to choose only three. There will definitely be a roma, a sweet 100 cherry, and a Brandywine. Or maybe a Beefsteak. Or an Early Girl. or......

Anyone have a favorite tomato or any guidance for us? We're rookies at this gardening thing. I'm so excited for this stuff to start growing and fill in!

12 comments:

Cocoa said...

Oh wow! The garden looks great. We use the square foot gardening method too but ours doesn't look as nice and attractive as yours does. In fact, yours down right puts ours to shame.

up in bubbles said...

Funny you just posted I just got back from making a planting plan and layout to a family garden we are starting out here. We are also doing the square foot gardening. That book makes it really simple and easy to follow if you don't already have it. Looks like you have a great start. We missed some of the earlt crops but hope to plant by the 10th of MAy. Cross your fingers. Let me know if you have any suggestions. They say if you plant marigolds throughout your garden it keepd the pest away. I will let you know what I find.

Kim N said...

I am having major garden envy! I know nothing about planting and gardening, but after seeing those pictures I have talked my husband into helping me make a small grow box in our tiny backyard.

Elizabeth-W said...

It looks fantastic!!

b. said...

That is a.ma.zing!!!
Good work!
Really? Is it too late to plant stuff?

Mrs. Organic said...

cocoa -but you have a green thumb so we'll see how it ends up. I am just praying that something lives (unfortunately it will probably be the zucchini) and we get to eat it

bubbles - I will send you that list of garden companion plants and 'enemies'

Mrs. Organic said...

kim - I hope you'll post pictures too, us newbies have to stick together

ew - thx

b- I am coveting your trees! I don't think it's too late - maybe for spinach because it will bolt (puberty for plants) as soon as the temps warm up enough and it will be bitter tasting.

Alisha said...

wow. . .wow! want to come over and make my garden look like that? i guess we go for the "natural" look - weeds and all :)

it truly looks fabulous. you may want to look for some "bloomsdale longstanding" spinach as it is slow to bolt and doesn't mind the heat as much as other varieties.

i also like the dog-barrier fence; very smart. i can't wait to see your pictures in july.

Mrs. Organic said...

alisha - thanks for the spinach recommendation (I'll be ordering it tomorrow). And how clever that you spotted the dog barrier, the silly dog thought the raised beds were for her comfort - warm dirt is apparently very comfy.

Marne said...

Hi, my friend just told me about your blog, and I hopped on over. My personal blog is private but I would be more than happy to invite you. I love all the info on your site...and I am a Lazy Organizer fan also!

This is my 2nd year of SFG. I did it once before several years ago but that is when Mel didn't recommend boxes so I did it in the ground. I LOVE LOVE gardening this way! And I'll tell you, the cherry tomatoes and beef steak did great for me. I am also trying roma tomatoes this year. My peas always are fabulous growing up the trellis...they grew to the top last year. You boxes look magnificent!! Good luck!

Marne said...

Oh, and one more thing. I did early girls last year and they weren't so early...my big boys were earlier than them. Maybe it's my area, who knows.

Annie said...

I have been told to come over and look and the pictures of your garden. I did and I am impressed!