Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Before and After


We soaked the soil in three inches of water overnight and commenced digging it, turning it over a further 8 inches, and mixing in a garden soil blend as we went the next morning.

Once that was done, we filled in the beds and built 6 inch grow boxes from redwood (not cheap, but we didn't want treated wood). Next step is to actually get the peas in the triangle bed and the strawberries in front of those, and then to cover the paths with bark or pea gravel (any suggestions there?) Also, we've got to put up a wire fence (which we will grow grapes on), because Copper the Superdog thinks the beds are toasty and just right for warming her toes, catching some rays, and possibly even a little digging. So, up goes the fence next week.

Lastly, we need to plot out just exactly where all the other crops and companion plants are going. If only there were a software program out there to figure it all out for me - you know I'd just put in the size of my beds, the crops I want to plant and presto! it would spit out just where to put everything.

9 comments:

My Ice Cream Diary said...

My garden is so sad. Full of weeds and my pregnant body unable to get them out and my husband too busy to get out there either. Maybe I will make that the punishment du jour for misbehaving kids. =)

Elizabeth-W said...

You are so good. Shazzy and I both have black thumbs.

Heffalump said...

It looks great. Someday we will put a garden in here.

Am'n2Deep said...

Beautiful garden! I do hope you continue to post pictures. I look forward to watching it grow.

b. said...

You have sooooo inspired me! We went and got the materials today!

Mrs. Organic said...

if it grows indoors, i tend to kill it - outside with the water on a timer, sometimes miracles happen.

b- have fun growing - let me know when you get that cow...

Ornery's Wife said...

I would love to do what you are doing! We have a totally full summer this year, which means that whatever work we put into it would be a wash while we were traveling, but that is what I am wanting to do in my yard next year. Blogrolling...
TM

b. said...

We have bordering farmer neighbor cows right now....so help me, if they get in my garden!! It'll be steak for dinner!

Mrs. Organic said...

ornery - I would so rather travel than garden

b- just be sure to call me when you're grilling it up